Friday, May 27, 2011

Which GORUCK bag is best for the challenge?

I was recently asked this question and after giving it a bit of thought, decided to post my views on the topic here.

I used a GR Echo bag for both Tough Mudder and the Goruck Challenge. The Goruck Website says that most folks find the Echo a bit too small for the challenge, but that is generally because people tend to pack more than they need. I did manage to squeeze everything I needed for the challenge into my little pack and then some with the exception of my windbreaker which I clipped to the outside in its own little pouch. After the challenge I would've liked a little more room to play with as well as the molle webbing on the shoulder straps that the radio ruck has. This would've easily allowed me to attach a molle compatible sternum strap to the pack. Recently, I've heard from another challenge taker that the radio ruck has the internal molle webbing that will allow the bricks to be attached up high. If I had to buy a bag again, and purely for the challenge, this is the bag I would go with.

Now, that being said, I believe any of the bags would work for the challenge. Therefore, I'd recommend purchasing the bag that you think you'll use the most outside of the challenge. Most folks that go through tend to go with the GR1 which seems to be a great all around bag. If I did get another bag, I'd be tempted for any of them really, but the GR1 and GR2 are strong contenders. I like the idea of a large bag that can fit everything I need for an extended trip, yet still fit in the carry-on bin. Outside of the challenge I use my Echo as a laptop/day pack, in which capacity it works great. I was originally thinking of getting the radio ruck for the next challenge, but am now thinking that it might be a bit to close in size to my Echo. Instead, i'll most likely save up and invest in one of the bigger bags, which should serve as a great compliment to the Echo.

In the mean time I've decided to take advantage of the customization options on the Echo and ordered a few molle pouches from 5.11 tactical as well as a few velcro patches from the 9.11 collection (All profits from the 9.11 collection go to the National Law Enforcement Officer's Memorial Fund and the FDNY foundation). My hope is that the pouches will be the right size and allow easy access to food during the challenge.

I've played around with a homemade sternum strap, but so far the pack seems more comfortable without it. The pack was perfectly comfy during Tough Mudder, and the shoulders didn't start to burn until the late hours of the challenge. Still though, all the bear crawls might've contributed to this. Clasping my hands behind my back and underneath my pack did help to alleviate some of the strain.

Goruck says on their site that they are coming out with their own line of molle accessory pouches, but until then I'll give these a shot and let you know how they work out.

7 comments:

  1. Does your Echo not have internal molle webbing? The one pictured on the website certainly does. Also, I've heard that the Echo now has webbing running down the straps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    The echo does have internal 5 internal MOLLE webbing slots. I just checked the Goruck website, but was unable to tell if the new ones have the webbing on the shoulder straps. Check out the links to the right under Goruck stuff - Goruck echo mods and set up field testing, radio ruck 6 brick field test, and Goruck 057 training and prep for more pack info and tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They certainly do. I've seen some of your other posts, good stuff.

    http://jonadair.co.uk/post/7240435274/goruck-gr-echo-initial-thoughts

    Some newish pics. The mesh back pocket is now solid fabric apparently. Looking forward to getting one as soon as a friend goes stateside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks,
    One other note on the echo. The new GRC standard for bricks has been changed from 3 to 4 if you're under 150 lbs and 4 to 6 if you're over 150. Six bricks fit easily into my radio ruck, but I'd be hard pressed to get that many into my echo without some serious creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another consideration for bag choice is after successfully completing a GRC you will get invites to alum only events such as Beached and the Ascent which span multiple days. GR1s and GR2s are needed for these events.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well the only opportunity I'd ever have to run a challenge is when they land UK side next Sept.

    Going to give the echo a miss, having a friend bring me a radio ruck and I'd rather not get an echo knowing it'll be updated with full zip next year.

    Seriously doubt I'd be looking into those events, hard pressed enough to consider completing a challenge. Think you'd def. need a GR2 but that's beyond my needs/wallet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you decide to do one of the UK GRCs let me know before you register. I'll hook you up with the Goruck Gaurd for the challenge who can give you tips and pointers as well as a code for $20 off your registration cost.

    ReplyDelete