Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Workout Day 1- Sunday, August 7, 2011

Being on a firefighter work schedule has its advantages. Consistently knowing the day of the week is not one of them. I inadvertently started my new workout program on Sunday instead of Monday as planned. No big loss, and it's actually allowed for me to compensate for those days when I feel thrashed getting off shift in the morning.

My workout plan for the day is as follows:

Super Joints/Z-Health/CK-FMS warm-up

50 CC Wall pushups and 25 tuck sit ups done roughly every hour

40 12 kg KB swings done after every call

10 calf raises each leg every time I went upstairs

Morning Workout
Good mornings 2x8 45 lb bar w/ 180 sec of rest

Afternoon Workout
Double Unders 25, 20, 15, 10, 5 supersetted with TRX suspended crunches 50, 40, 30, 20, 10


I chopped the number of double unders in half because I just learned how to do them and had about 3-4 single jumps in between each. I substituted the TRX crunches because I wanted to work the stabilizer muscles in my shoulders to get them ready for all the bear crawls in my future. Between the several hundred wall pushups throughout the day and the TRX crunches, my shoulders had a fairly decent burn by the end of the workout.

While I'm all excited to have learned a new skill in the double unders (this video was very helpful)



next time I will sub 3x single unders for the sake of continuity and flow until I get a little more consistent with the double unders.

All in all this felt like a good start to the workout plan. I got in a good workout without feeling to thrashed, which was good because not only was excited and chomping at the bit for the next workout, but I was still on duty. While I do love those workouts where I feel like a puddle of gelatinous goo by the end, those aren't always the best when I have the potential of responding to a ripping structure fire a few seconds later. I also find splitting the workout up into small chunks like this is nice when I'm at work, because it's not a big deal if the workouts get interrupted by calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment