Monday, May 17, 2010

I really wasn't expecting to love it this much

I signed up for the Z-Health Essentials workshop without knowing a whole lot about. I had had limited experience with Z-Health at the RKC certs, mainly dealing with joint manipulation to relieve pain and improve mobility. That's just one aspect of the system. I had previously thought the best way to move better was through moving more and moving more precisely. Yes, this is one component of it, but vision has a higher place on the totem pole than movement. I've worn glasses or contacts since I was 8 years old. Every time when I go to the optometrist, my vision always seemed to be getting a little bit worse every time. When HD TVs hit the market, I noticed that I had trouble focusing and tracking on high speed sporting events. I didn't think too much of this at the time, thinking it had more to do with the TV than with my eyes. My vision didn't seem to be a factor affecting my athletic performance, because I was still able to perform at a high level. Several of the vision assessments and drills on the third day of the course showed me how I was "predicting" more than seeing. The reaction time is so quick in volleyball that in order to be truly good at the sport, you have to know what's going to happen before it happens. If I'm at the net blocking when my team is serving, I watch the ball until it is passed. Once it's passed and I know it's going to the other team's setter, I take my eyes off of the ball and find the other team's middle. If the other team is running a crossing pattern where the hitters switch what position they are hitting out of, I have to communicate this to the other players in the front row, listen to them to find out which hitter is coming into the middle, then find that hitter. Next I'd go back to the setter to find out where she was going to set the ball, or tip over the net. All but the very best setters give some type of visual clue, whether it's a little hop, hand placement, weight distribution, or arching their back, that tells where they're most likely to set the ball. I'd take a step in that direction and then see where they actually would set the ball. Once they set the ball, I'd take my eyes off of the ball, pick up my other blocker, move to them and then turn and face the ball and block at the last second. All of this would usually take place in under 2-3 seconds. So, a whole lot of anticipation, and since I usually didn't play back row, not a lot of tracking. When I sat down at the beginning of class yesterday morning, near the back of the room, the letters on the power point were a bit fuzzy. After we performed the drills, when I sat back down, surprisingly the letters were much clearer. Additionally, when I retested my convergence/divergence last night after class, I had gained about 4" of near-sightedness. In line with the the example from day 2 of the class, once my eyes could focus and see better, my body relaxed and let go of tension I didn't even realize I had. I loved that this course not only pointed out limitations to my mental and physical course, but showed me relatively simple ways of improving those limiting factors. After 3 days I now feel much greater sense of control over both my mental and physical performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment