Monday, June 28, 2010

June 24, 2010 Viking, Climbing, Rugby Day

Thursday morning at the Fire Station as I was getting off shift I performed the Viking Warrior 36:36 snatch protocol for 10 work sets. I had originally planned to go for 15 work sets, but by 10 I was starting to have trouble getting all 20 reps completed within the 36 seconds.

From work I drove straight to the climbing gym, started on the slab side of the bouldering wall (the more vertical section of the climbing wall) and climbed 3 V0s and 3 V1s. My core strength is definitely improving. I had a much easier time staying close to the wall and had very little barn dooring (one hand and foot on the same side becoming detached from the wall causing the person to swing open sideways like a barn door).

That evening I had my very first rugby sevens practice. It wasn't nearly as grueling as I expected it to be. Course, it was a 2 hour practice vs the 6 hour Grizzlies tryouts. We spent a lot of time passing patterns, avoiding contact on offense, and moving the ball around. Little by little this game is starting to make more sense and is starting to feel more fluid. I can't wait for the day when rugby movements and body mechanics become instinctive for me, leaving me to think about what needs to be done, instead of how to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment