Thursday, August 26, 2010

August 21, 2010 - Healthy Firehouse Meal

Saturday was once again my turn to cook at the station. We were pretty busy with calls during the day so we had to eat out for lunch. For dinner I cooked curry coconut milk shrimp with mango couscous.

http://chefmd.com/recipe_display.php?id=46

and paired it with a spinach, tomato and cucumber side salad and whole wheat french bread.

There are two general rules when it comes to cooking in the firehouse 1) it has to be edible, and 2) there absolutely has to be enough. I was worried that it might be a little light for a dinner meal, or that quadrupling the portions might not be enough, so to compensate I cooked 5 lbs. of shrimp instead of 4. I also cooked 4 cups of couscous with 2 packages of dried mango. There are 10 of us per shift at my station. I probably could have gotten away with 4 lbs. of shrimp and 3 cups of couscous. The whole meal took about an hour and a half to prepare.

All in all the crew loved it, saying that this is definitely one to make again.

No comments:

Post a Comment