Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Healthy Firehouse meals

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Once again my turn to cook in the firehouse. In a single company house the cooking rotation cycles through much quicker than a double house. Because of this I've had to learn a few more recipes for work. This time around I had a craving for an old family favorite, black-eyed peas and collard greens. Anyone that's ever had the privilege of being around my mom's house on New Year's can tell you what any amazing dish this is. I cooked a simpler version of this dish for the firehouse. I used whole foods black eyed pea and collard green soup recipe.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/380

and added in some dried bay leaves. In hindsight, it probably could've used a capful of apple cider vinegar to enhance the flavor, but still tasted pretty good. For those of you using the slow carb diet, this recipe was a staple for me in the time that I used the diet.

I paired it with ChefMd's mustard almond chicken.

http://chefmd.com/recipe_display.php?id=87

This recipe is incredibly easy and everyone always raves about it.

The black eyed peas can also be served over rice or quinoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment