Friday, July 9, 2010

July 1, 2010 Viking Warrior, Kettlebell Partner Passing, Indian Clubs, Bouldering, Rugby Day

Thursday proved to be a very full, very fun day. I started off the day getting off shift with Viking Warrior 36:36 snatch protocol, 12 kg, 20 reps, for 10 work sets, wearing my SCBA mask.

Next I met up with Mike again to practice some diagonal crossing patterns and Indian club work. I had previously only thought of Indian clubs as a great tool for shoulder mobility, but Mike showed me several drills for wrist and hand mobility. Mike's 1 lb clubs felt much more fluid than my 2 lb clubs. I found an antique set of 1 lb Wilson clubs on ebay and can't wait to try them out when they arrive.

Once we had worked out, it was time to go play. We drove to Castlerock state park to do some bouldering. Climbing outside felt very good, regardless of the mosquitoes. Something about getting out in nature instantly has a very good effect on me. Sometimes I have to make more of an effort to remember the the climbing gym is a tool to get outside more. We spent the afternoon working a problem in the Magoo's section of the boulders. This is one of my favorite things about bouldering; hanging out with friends and figuring out different possible ways of climbing a problem. Hopefully we'll get to climb together again soon.

Afterwards, around 5 pm, I drove back up to Oakland. Something about that drive has a way of sapping the energy right out of me (yes, the drive, not the 9 hours of working and playing before hand). We had a few runs after midnight the night before and it was starting to catch up to me by the time I got home. After going back and forth a bit on whether I should go to rugby practice, I asked myself what I'd do if this was my very last day on earth. The answer became very clear. Besides, I had to test out my new go-fast cleats. I took a 20 minute nap and headed out to practice, and was very glad I did. It was good to be with the team again. We practiced passing patterns, defense and then put it all together in a few games of touch.

All in all this turned out to be a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment