Friday, July 9, 2010

June 30, 2010 3 Minute Workout

The day before, as a precursor to the freestyle partner passing, Mike taught me a 180 crescent swing. He then taught me a more dynamic plyometric version of this swing. It got my heart rate up in a hurry and got me thinking of a new workout plan. For a while I've been trying to develop a good program to meet the conditioning demands of rugby 7s. The exercise demands this exercise placed on me felt very similar to the sprint conditioning test from the Grizzlies tryout. Therefore I decided to incorporate this into a similar template to train my active recovery.

I used a 12 kg bell and performed 20 seconds of plyometric crescent swings immediately followed by 40 of regular two handed swings. I did this for three rounds with no break in between for a total of three minutes. This proved to be a pretty challenging workout. The three minutes felt even tougher than the 4 1/2 minutes I made it through for the Grizzlies test. This makes me happy. My ultimate goal with this plan is to work up to 3 sets of 10 minutes with a 1 minute break in between. This should cover a 7s championship match with two overtime periods.

No comments:

Post a Comment