Friday, July 16, 2010

July 16, 2010 CC, Stair Climb Prep, Indian Clubs, Rugby Drills, Wildland Fire

Today is the day before the Transamerica building stair climb. We'll be hiking up 48 floors with full firefighting gear, weighing approximately 75 lbs., while breathing air from an SCBA bottle. Last March we climbed the Bank of America buidling in SF. It was 52 stories and took me 20 minutes to complete. My main goal that day was for my air bottle to last all the way to the top, which it did. My goal for tomorrow is to break 20 minutes.

To prepare for it today I have mainly been hydrating, going light with the workout, and eating as healthy and warrior like as possible at the station today. This includes having my willpower sorely tested by the Costco 7 lb. All-American chocolate cake and the tray of cupcakes that greeted me in the station kitchen this morning.

This is the best I've done with hydration in a while, managing to guzzle down 5 quarts of water today. My workout began with a Super Joints/Z-health warm-up, and then the following reps/sets of CC.

Vertical Pulls 3x20
Close Squats 2x20

The vertical pulls are progressing, but very slowly. I'm tempted to start adding in a few GTG sets per week on this exercise. The close squats feel great. My ankle is continuing to gain mobility through them.

Afterwards I did a few Indian Club exercises to help loosen up my shoulders, thoracic spine and rib cage in preparation for being under load tomorrow. I finished up with a few rugby footwork and passing drills, to keep things short and light and save my legs for tomorrow.

The best laid plans. From about 6 pm to 10 pm, my crew and I were hiking all over the hills of San Jose fighting a wildland fire. (Yes, I realize I'm a trucker, but that's a story for a different post.) I'm sure I sweated out at least half the water I drank today working and hiking up and down the hills. Ain't it just a shame when work gets in the way of play? But, this adds a bit more of a challenge and makes it all that much more fun. On the bright side, my stamina and muscular endurance both felt great at the fire. My legs didn't start to burn until towards the end of the incident when I grabbed another company's hose pack weighing approximately 60 lbs., and hiked it back up the hill to the rigs for them. My legs and traps are a little sore right now, but overall everything feels pretty good. Now since it's almost midnight, i've gotta drink some more water and get some shut-eye for tomorrow, and hopefully find that delicate balance between adequate hydration and having to get up to pee all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment