Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Time to Ramp Things Up

After Denver I decided it was time to start training like I mean it. There are several upcoming events for which I want to be in peak condition. The first is rugby sevens. There's an even slimmer chance that I'd be selected to go to New York with the Grizzlies, but I didn't think there was any chance that they'd pick me to go to Denver either. After that there's a sprint triathlon in September as well as possibly another full gear stair climb, the tough mudder in October and Rugby 15s season in the fall.

A minor wrist sprain this past weekend edged me away from my kettlebells and towards the cardio machines at the station. This actually worked out well. I'm using a slightly modified version of the tri-newbies sprint tri training program. Yesterday I spent 15 minutes on the stair climber, borrowing a page from Andrew Read RKC II's post in Hardstyle magazine Summer 2010 and performed 15:15 Viking Warrior style intervals. I slowed my pace, but kept moving to work on my active recovery. The plan is to rotate between stair climbing, weighted hiking, and running on the days listed as run days. This should help to build up my leg strength and save my knees.

I also performed the following reps for CC

Wall pushups, 1 arm - 3x25

Knee Tucks 3x40

Since my right wrist is healing, and my left arm is a bit weaker than the right, I went ahead and went back to step 1 of the CC pushup series, cut the progression reps in half, and only used my left arm. The knee tucks are feeling good, and will probably progress to the next step after another week or two.

This morning I performed 20 minutes, random hill program of 15:15 on the exercise bike. I'll treat the cardio the same as the Viking Warrior Protocol. When I reach 40 minutes in this fashion then I'll move on to 36:36 protocol.

Once my wrist heals up the kettlebells will make an appearance again following the new TRX Kettlebell video.

http://www.dragondoor.com/dv068.html

I can feel the burn already just thinking about this workout plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment